Synaptics Pointing Device Driver virus/malware, fake defender control

• Thread starter cloud9atom
  • Start date
C
cloud9atom
Solutions
Reaction score
Since we use cr@cked software that most of the times requires to disable Windows Defender, we (including me) tend to use software that automates this process, the most popular one is Defender Control by sordum.

Problem is, a fake defender control circulates on the internet that has virus/malware included. It infects other executables on your system, it goes under the name "Synaptics Pointing Device Driver" meaning that it is trying to look legitimate (like the real Synaptics driver).

Here are the instructions to remove it, they doesn't require you to re-enable Windows Defender. (Attached some pictures for help, only one screenshot is mine, credits go to the owner for the other ones)

1. Open Task Manager, the windows automatically opens to "Processes, search for "Synaptics Pointing Device Driver, if you find it, select it and click on End Task.

2. Search in taskbar "File Explorer Options, open it, go to "View, uncheck/untick "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended), a window will pop up, click on yes, then apply.

3. Open File explorer, go to "C:\ProgramData, look for "Synaptics" folder and delete it.

4. Search in taskbar "File Explorer Options, open it, go to "View, check/tick "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)".

5. Search in taskbar "Registry Editor, go to "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, search for "Synaptics Pointing Device Driver, delete the registry key.

6. Restart.

Download attachments
  • 1.png
    1.png
    159.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 2.png
    2.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 201
  • 3.png
    3.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 4.png
    4.png
    113 KB · Views: 175
  • 5.png
    5.png
    105.8 KB · Views: 191
  • 6.png
    6.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 7.png
    7.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 8.png
    8.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 9.png
    9.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
  • Like [+1]
Reactions: fouadtl, star10, grisleigh and 15 others
Synaptics Killer has recovered/cleaned a bunch of files for me, so it is tested and working.
It is a waste of time to clean them manually.

Hi i face synaptics.exe virus while installing Renolink on the cd i received with the cable. It destroys all my exe on my pc, I have to clean them manually by hex editor. Above I made a video what I face and what I did to clean most of my programs.

Hi. Finally I format my PC and install my programs.
The problem. I can't install like Swiftec 14 months expired subscription then need pay for help me new install.
Next time better use orig defender from Windows.